Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Randomness

I have not been knitting, not even a little bit.  I haven't even as much as looked at a ball of yarn or a pattern in a few weeks now. 
This is the time of year where I usually put up the knitting and start spending as much time as I can outside in the sun reading or working in the garden.  Plus its just too hot to knit even in Maine.

There have also been a two major things and a few minor things that have been keeping me from my "normal" routine.

Major:

1. My little brother is scheduled for heart surgery this week.  Tomorrow he will be enduring a 4 1/2 to 5 hour proceedure to replace a valve in his heart.  I have volunteered to stay at home during this time to care for my parents 2 parrots and 2 dogs, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well.

2. Providing that my brothers surgery goes as planned and there are no complications, I will be flying to Tennessee this Thursday to visit some dear friends whom I have not seen in a long time.  I CAN'T EVEN WAIT!  I have been planning this trip for a couple of months now and then all of a sudden the date has crept right up on me.  I have barely started packing but I think I can manage to throw everything in my suitcase before Thursday morning.  This is a solo trip so the upside is I don't have to worry about trying to make sure that my significant other and dog have thier stuff together. 

Minor:

Dad and I have been putting a lot of time into our garden over the past couple of weekends.  It looks AMAZING.  I think it is probably the best garden we have had yet.  We managed to get all the planting done last weekend and I think we are both pretty proud of it.  I love telling people about the process that we have gone through to get it to where it is now, and I have been offering "tours" to friends so that I can brag about all the things we have done. 
Here is what we have growing in our garden:
Potatoes (blue fingerling, red, and white)
Bush Beans
Brussels Sprouts
Broccoli
Cucumbers
Tomatoes (Big Boy and Roma)
Basil
Garlic
Lettuce
Swiss Chard
Carrots
Onions
Peppers (Bell and Banana)
Eggplant
Peas
Strawberrys
Sun Flowers

I have been reading up a storm!
Currently I am working on reading the Into the Wilderness Series by Sara Donati.  If you like historical fiction, you will love these books. To date I have finished Into The Wilderness and Dawn on a Distant Shore, next up Lake in the Clouds.

I also just finished up The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, which was a book that was chosen for my book club. 

Today I have planned to start reading the current book club selection Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese.

Happy Knitting/Gardening/Reading!

No comments: